Become an organizer
Want to make a difference in your community?
SEIU is recruiting activists interested in organizing and building power in their communities and workplaces.
We are seeking energetic individuals to lead our efforts to organize and empower low wage workers.
Experience in the labour movement is not a prerequisite however candidates should have a proven track record of activism in the social justice movement.
Successful candidates will be offered a one-year contract for the position of Union Organizer with the potential to become permanent.
The position will be for Vancouver, British Columbia.
Engaging workers through house visits, leafleting, phone calls and meetings
(in accordance with provincial public health guidelines)
Identifying, training and activating worker leaders
Planning and leading actions, rallies and leafleting
Working with the media
Producing leaflets and other communication tools
Managing worker data
Working with member organizers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent listening skills and the ability to comprehend the concerns of others
- Ability to manage your time independently and carry out work plans with minimal supervision
- Willingness to travel for extended periods of time
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, including some nights, weekends, and holidays
- Ability to motivate and activate others
- Sharp problem-solving skills
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
Second language an asset: Tagalog, Spanish, Punjabi, Hindi, Amharik, and/or Tigrinya.
Compensation: Salary dependent on experience; includes medical benefits, pension, and paid vacation time.