Dexterra workers across BC are organizing with SEIU to win higher wages, health benefits, paid personal days, and job security against contract flips. You can do it too!
Contact an organizer today to learn how
Share on Social Media:
Dexterra is a large multi-national janitorial contractor that cleans millions of square feet across British Columbia.
Dexterra workers have been organizing with SEIU Local 2 since 2021 and have achieved impressive victories by coming together.
Most recently, in September 2022, Dexterra janitors at YVR ratified their Collective Agreement which includes a nearly 8.5% wage increase over the term of the agreement and keeps workers at par with the current Living Wage. The prevalent Living Wage in Vancouver is $20.52 per hour (including benefits) and is determined by the Living Wage for Families BC.
Prior to that victory, Dexterra workers at Capilano Mall led the way in being the first worksite to win their union in June 2021. By November 2021 they won a first collective agreement for Dexterra workers in British Columbia.
Since then, more and more Dexterra workers continue to unionize with SEIU Local 2 and enjoy the same union benefits and protections against contract changes. Their fight has now made it easier for non-union Dexterra workers to unionize and have access to the same improvements.
Whether your worksite is under threat of a contract flip or you and your co-workers are ready to win a collective voice to fight for better wages and benefits, now is the time to win a union at your workplace and we can help you get there!
These are some of the most significant improvements Dexterra janitors won through collective bargaining:
- Guaranteed wage increases every year that keep workers significantly above the minimum wage
- Pay premiums for lead hands, project workers and graveyard shifts
- Guarantees that workers getting paid rates at or higher than those on the pay grid will also get raises every year.
- Health and Welfare Benefits with premiums 100% Employer paid and provides access to part-time workers!
- Additional Paid Stat Holiday – Easter Monday
- Paid Personal Days – 3 paid days off per year that can be used for emergencies, illness, or non-emergency related absences.
- Better Vacation Pay & Leave of Absence for up to 3 months that can be combined with vacation and protects seniority and the job when a worker returns
- Paid Bereavement Leave – 3 paid days for immediate family and in-laws
- Job Security – Grievance Procedure and Protection against unjust terminations or disciplines and any potential contract changes in the future
- Job Vacancy, Lay-off & Recall rights that will protect the seniority of workers for 1 year if there is layoff and give current workers priority to new job postings
- Strong language on Health & Safety, Discrimination & Harassment
How do successorship rights protect unionized contracted janitors from contract flips?
- In May 2019, the BC provincial government implemented ‘successorship rights’ to protect contracted workers, such as janitors, during a contract change.
- Successorship rights (Section 35 in the BC Labour Code) only applies to workers at unionized worksites.
- If the cleaning contract changes at a unionized workplace, the new Employer (successor company) must re-hire all the staff, recognize their seniority, union contract and right to collectively bargain.
- On the other hand, non-union janitors must re-apply as probationary employees with no guarantee they will be hired with the same terms and conditions of work as before!
Dexterra Workers Speak Up –
Job Security Now!
“I’ve been working at Capilano Mall with Dexterra for 12 years.” The only increases we ever get are the government minimum wage increases, which we don’t know when it will happen again. That is why we needed to unionize at Capilano Mall. We are essential workers that deserve better pay for the work we do in keeping the public safe.”
- Gerry Langbis
Paid Sick & Personal Days
“I have worked with Dexterra for over 15 years and without any access to paid sick days. This issue was important to me even before the Covid-19 outbreak because this is a right all workers should have whether we face a health pandemic or not. We need paid sick days that are guaranteed in a union contract.”
- Ivan Chung
Overnight Wage Premium
“I work the overnight shift at Capilano Mall with Dexterra. This shift is very difficult on the body in addition to a job that is already quite physical. With our union, we will ask for pay increases collectively and we hope to win an overnight pay premium like other unionized workers have.”
- Allen Gonsaden
“We decided to organize into a union so we can win health benefits for ourselves and our families. Right now, any health benefits that exist with Dexterra are inconsistent, do not include part-time workers and are completely under the control of the Employer. It’s time everyone who needs health benefits has access to them.”
- Carrianne Greyeyes
Power of a Union
“I worked at Dexterra for over 6 years. When the contract was about to flip at Tsawwassen Quay, I risked losing my wage rate and even worse, my job all together. I quickly organized with my co-workers and not only did I protect my job and wage rate, but with SEIU, I was able to collectively bargain a higher wage rate and Employer paid health benefits that were more superior to what I had before.”
- Dorinna Charette
J4J Movement Grows in BC as NBM Cleaners Join
“It was clear that we were getting left behind as workers doing the same job as us are getting paid more and have access to health and dental benefits because they have a union.”
There is a Better Way
TTC Contract-Flipping Shouldn’t Hurt Workers. When the TTC changes contractors, the impacted workers and their families risk losing all the workplace improvements they’ve made over the years. Together we can change that.
Sodexo workers prevail and win
Sodexo workers prevail and win important gains as they ratify agreement with improvements to wages, benefits, and pension plan.
More Best Service Pros workers join SEIU
Ratify deal that includes 75-cent wage increase for all workers and makes benefit plan accessible to part-timers.